Tuesday 18 October 2022

Analysis

 Module Three:


What do you do with all the data you have gathered?


1. Organise it!

- Stick on walls, cover a table with your notes, print out, stick up, colour-code... find a way that allows you to SEE the information


2. Identify the conceptual areas of your inquiry

- what areas are still in the game? 

- are they playing equal parts, has the balance shifted?

Example: 'An inquiry into diversity and inclusivity focusing on gender in dance education' 

- conceptual areas: dance education, gender, diversity, inclusivity

 

3. Look at, listen to, absorb your data - from ALL sets

- what lines of argument are present?

- what new ideas are emerging ?

- where are you (your lived experience, your professional body of knowledge) in all of this?

 

4. Map it

- what patterns/connections are visible? - what questions do these prompt?

- where are areas of overlap? - what questions do these prompt?

- Are there gaps? - what questions do these prompt?

- Are there 'A-ha' moments? - what questions do these prompt?



How are you making meaning from your data?


Please share your thoughts in your blogs and comments here...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this summary Helen.
    In order to keep things more compact with all the packing due to moving shortly (less than 3 weeks...yeah!!!) I am using various coloured highlighters to help me identify the key points as I read and sort through the transcripts. I feel this along with the scholarship I am listening to on my daily drive in and out of the city to teaching, I continue to use voice memo, as well as my journal, to articulate my reflections. Currently I feel a bit scattered, like the 'strings' are trying to connect, on the verge of, but are not fully intersecting yet.
    There is so much meaning for me personally in all this data. My challenge is how do I take the reader into my world, which is full of sensation, and present it an an academic way? I know I have done it in the past two modules, so need to breathe and allow the process to happen. The guide you have provided here is a great snapshot to follow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Helen, thank you for this guideline, for the advice and the prompting questions for each phase. I find them incredibly useful! I have a massive colour coded cork board helping me out with things. As you suggested laying it all out really did help identify themes and clusters of recurring ideas. I wish you a wonderful day! Elly

    ReplyDelete