Tuesday 23 March 2021

Look at the work of others...

 A reminder to look at and consider the work of others around you, those who have gone before you. What questions have already been asked, what areas have been explored in art-based practices, how might you join the conversation?

A reminder that you, your practice, your research ideas, your research do not exist in isolation. 

Look, listen, question your own narrative as you build new frameworks for learning.

 

 

 

 https://www.ted.com/talks/thelma_golden_how_art_gives_shape_to_cultural_change?referrer=playlist-why_art_is_important_to_democracy

 

what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Helen. Twyla Tharp writes in The Creative Habit (p:22) “Honey, it’s all been done before. Nothing’s really original. Not Homer or Shakespeare and certainly not you. Get over yourself." I appreciate this reminder, and now to find where in fact people have written it... which leads to my thoughts about the TedTalk - to find information by researching through a different information source. It’s certainly opened up thinking to other avenues for information. For me, I’ve gone back through old IADMS periodicals and notes I took as a young student at BA level. Not quite so distantly related, but still a start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, thank you for this post. This gave me the chance to consider how questions I obtain around my research inquiry are those that others had before me as well. What I am thinking though is the following: Yes it's been done or asked before, but not by me and not for this purpose. So something different may come as a result at the end. What I think is also important, is to understand that questions that need to be answered just give you the head-start to go through a journey that can provide an "eye" in the work of others before, that gives the chance to think deeper, than just have a temporary response to a problem.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete