Sunday 7 March 2021

Theories and Frameworks - Sunday Discussion Group

 Today we had a conversation on practive led by Angela. 

Through sharing examples of her making practice as a contiuum of processes of thinking and questioning Angela offered an insight into some of the theories she has been engaging with through making, of space, time, light, the ephereal image, bodily-spatial relationships through a framework of collaborative making. 

While the different works addressed the particular environments of their creation and situation the questions running through them were being explored through the artistic process.

 

Angela will share additional resources and links to her work on her blog: 

https://angelamapp.blogspot.com/



We encourage you in this programme to look at the frameworks that are holding, shaping your practice and offer the notion of theories as ways of looking at and unpacking some of those frameworks. How might you unpack the framework of the body for example by understanding better theories of the functionality of the fascia? Or how might particular theories of 'the body' through a lens of social-cultural, historical perspective help you to unpack dominant assumptions in your practice around what constitutes a 'the body'? Start to notice assumptions and look at different theories as ways of opening the door to seeing things from other perspectives...

This is hopefully a life-long task and the MA is inviting you to being to scratch the surface of some of these frameworks. 

Some interesting questions were raised today around democracy, inclusivity, participation - We invite you to consider these frameworks further now through your blogs, commenting on each others to continue conversations and allowing yourself to enter the process of questioning...not to solve, answer or correct something, but to enter a process of unpacking some of the theories that may open pathways to seeing frameworks differently. 

 



 



6 comments:

  1. Very interesting discussion today and really enjoyed watching Angela's projects and collaborations.
    Here are my thoughts on theoretical frameworks.
    https://mariayiangou21.blogspot.com/2021/03/thinking-about-theories-and-framework.html
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi:)
    Yesterday we had a very profound and enjoyable discussion on practice led by Angela. here are my thoughts and observation on theories and frameworks
    https://sandramove.blogspot.com/2021/03/theories-and-frameworkssunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't get to join in, but here's my blog:
    https://rhodmapp.blogspot.com/2021/03/yoohoo-back-in-saddle.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also missed this discussion as I was working,I am going to be reading all the blogs to gather more understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting discussion that I feel was really crucial for me at this point in module three. I have blogged about my thoughts and my approach to the theories and frameworks that I have incorporated in my research inquiry.
    https://susanpresti.blogspot.com/2021/03/mapp-discussion-group-theories-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a thoughtful and interesting discussion. I particularly liked the analogy that Helen used relating to finding several threads and conversations between theory and knowledge, as opposed to trying to create a 'neat marriage'. This really resonated with me. I think too often I'm trying to find a definitive answer, rather than accepting that there isn't just one answer, but more a continual, ever changing debate of theories and ideas.

    Thank you to Ben for the reading suggestion of Stephen Brookfield on the view point of lenses, I'm looking forward to exploring this.

    The subject of democracy also really stood out to me with Angela's sharing of work, and provoked lots of questioning and interest for further exploration. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her thought processes and the relationship of how one views the body.

    ReplyDelete