Monday 22 February 2021

Relationships between Academic Writing and Artistic Practice

 Today we were joined by Peter Thomas from the university's Learning Enhancement Team. 

We undertook exercises in Free Writing and unpacked areas around the writing process. 


Some interesting references were made including Peter Elbow, Stephen King, Franz Kafka as ways of opening different perspectives on writing. 

 

I wonder what your thoughts are following these sessions? Please share and as we spoke about think of your blogs as practice in writing, a process to engage with, communicating, sharing.

 

"turn off the editor"

"construct your own toolbox...develop the muscles to carry it, instead of getting discourage seize the tools you need and get to work..."


 

 

 

We will upload the recordings from the sessions with Peter onto your unihub pages in the next couple of days along with the slides from his session for reference. 



6 comments:

  1. Very useful workshop, really brought up new ideas for the writing process.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the portion on generate, organize, present was a good reminder to not be concerned with the final product at this moment. Aso discover there was much deep reflection needed in my relationship with writing.
    https://lauriezc2020.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved the workshop. I've really struggled with actually getting started with the writing because I felt it needed to be a standard as soon as I began, but through the workshop I can really feel a new process that goes with our thought process (or lack thereof) on a subject. It was really helpful, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved the workshop and it really helped me begin my essays in a effective though process! Heres my blog for the workshop
    https://meganphillips17.blogspot.com/2021/02/academic-writing-with-peter-thomas.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate words that normalise the study we do. That make it reachable, explaining how, and that allows acceptance while promoting thought.

    I surprised myself with my writing efforts, and although we all have good days and not so, the speed writing exercise may be very useful to pull us out from 'writers block' at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the idea of free writing around a specific theme and then underline relevant sentences or words. It made me think of the making and re-making process of thoughts when we are organizing our understanding processes and matching scattered pieces of knowledge. Using paper records mistakes, abolishes the 'editor' mind and it's an important tactile reference that grounds us to the moment. I utilize the free writing technique every morning to tune in my thoughts, opinions, suppressed feelings, etc. and it's an incredible tool for clarifying action strategies ahead.

    ReplyDelete