Tuesday 5 October 2021

Academic Writing in arts-based practice

 Yesterday we had too great sessions with Peter Thomas and Sam Murray, looking at conventions in acadmic writing, why we write in arts-based practices, the role, language, tone and structures at play in this form of communication. 


The recordings of these sessions are on unihub on your MAPP ACI page, do watch them if you were unable to be a part of them yesterday, some really valuable insights and tools for reading, thinking, writing were shared. 


Some references made:


The text at the centre of the discussions was 

Martin, R. 2019. Feeling the Field: Reflections on Embodiment within Improvised Dance Ethnography 

 

Other texts that were referred to or that may be interesting in relation to these discussions:

Barthes, R. 1968. The Death of the Author

Barz, GF, and Cooley, TJ. 2008. Shadows in the Field: new perspectives for fieldwork in ethnomusicology


Nelson, R. 2013. Practice as Research in the Arts: Principles, Protocols, Pedagogies, Resistances

Pink, S. 2009. Doing Sensory Ethnography

Todres, L.  2007. Embodied Enquiry: phenomenological touchstones for research, psychotherapy and spirituality



Please do share other resources and your further thinking around these discussions...

5 comments:

  1. I just watched both recordings. As someone who struggles with writing, this was really helpful for me. Some wonderful notes on structure. I particularly liked when Peter talked about the Stephen King book. I actually went ahead and ordered a copy and hope to read it for my studies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen, I am sharing my thoughts around these theme on my blog https://sandramove.blogspot.com/2021/10/why-we-write-essays-in-art-based-study.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helen,
    Unfortunately I missed this session caught up in work life. Thank you for recording it. I just watched it and found it very useful as I begin to draft my work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. incredibly useful discussion and something which I know I'll be rewatching multiple times (already have). The link to my blog about it is here. Would love to know you guys thoughts. Thank you x
    https://imogengrace1.blogspot.com/2021/10/why-write-about-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone! I also found this class extremely insightful! Made me reflect on many things...sharing a few here! https://dancingbyelly.blogspot.com/2021/10/multiplicity.html

    ReplyDelete