Tuesday 19 October 2021

Data and Analysis

Yesterday we had a discussion around the roles and relationships of data and analysis.

As those in module three shared what 'data' - material, information, thoughts, opinions gathered through field research feel like for them, we became aware that often there are some unexpected surprises from research - THESE ARE GREAT!! 

Why?  They push you to re-consider, to think differently, to be challenged in your own learning - this is the intention of research and the crux of this programme!!


We also noted assumptions that we may now recognise we were carrying into the research process, maybe through the questions we ask or the responses we expect/want to hear. 


Angela made a great point about 'letting go' - staying with the information from your data, letting it simmer, dwell, process through your repeated listening/reading of it, but letting go of the need to control the research - to drive a linear pathway to the 'results' you had hoped to find. 


The process of analysis is about stepping back a little and letting your research speak to you... ALL OF IT (not just want participants said in interviews) listening, reading more, listening, questioning further, listening and acknowledging what you are learning from your research.

 

 

Some questions to consider...

How is this process changing your practice? 

How might you come to your practice differently as an impact of undertaking the research?

What shifts in your thinking are you noticing?

 How is your practice evolving?

 

 

What are your thoughts?


4 comments:

  1. Hi Helen, thank you for another useful and informative evening:) Here are my thoughts how I am gathering data for my research and how my practice is evolving:) https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/1780032755459290706/706741427417233541

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just watched the recording of Monday's session. It was good to hear where everyone is currently sitting with their research.Its reassuring to know that other people are also finding that their responses are provoking other questions and directions to their research. I am struggling with the extended reading - although what has happened is that I am researching different teaching qualifications and looking at the modules they are offering to see how much they focus on the topic of safe dance practice. There is plenty of reading in relation to Safe dance practice but not in relation to how this information is transferred to teachers. So I sense more hours in front of my computer trying to find literature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon Helen,
    I did not manage to attend the session on Monday but I just watched the recording, thank you for that! I also wrote down some previous thoughts that I had about data analysis on my blog: https://lauragidance.blogspot.com/2021/10/week-6-of-my-research-data-and-analysis.html

    ReplyDelete