Sunday 3 March 2019

Theories and Frameworks...the evening discussion

Lots of great areas came up in this evening's Open Discussion group. 

I want to offer a brief summary here and some provocations for you all to consider further and share your thoughts through your blogs (please do add your blog post in the comments below here).

The theme of the discussion was Theories and Frameworks and we talked about some possible perceptions of what these are, how we can see them in our practice and through the modules of the MA. We looked at different examples for these and acknowledged that examples can come from both within and outside of our immediate frame of reference. See Adesola's blog from the earlier discussion on this today- 

http://adesolamapp.blogspot.com/


For me a framework of my practice is Bartenieff Fundamentals (a movement system developed by dancer, choreographer, physical therapist, Irmgard Bartenieff, somewhat a bodily focused extension of her tutor Rudolf Laban's work through Laban Movement Analysis).  Bartenieff Fundamentals offers me a way of structuring and a language through which to articulate my moving body through specific patterns (Bartenieff sees the body as connected through core-distal, head-tail, body-half and cross-lateral patterns in order to achieve total integration). The theories I am interested in are in relationship with this framework, theories of the body in movement. These theories look at space-time and our relationship to, with, in, as it. I am also interested in theories of improvisation developed by other practitioners, and what frameworks are used to speak of the moving body through these. Theories and frameworks can offer us ways through which to deepen our understanding of things. They can frame perspectives and allow us to question and challenge our own practice. I do not have to find theories that match my framework, I am more interested in learning more about my body as I read, and experience in practice, and see the theories as ways of opening new doors to more questions for me.


An image I like to think about learning and knowledge is from the kids movie Monsters Inc. where the opening of a door into an unknown place is like the opening of a book, the taking of a new class, the conversation with another practitioner , it can open the way to more doors, more questions, to alternative perspectives and deeper understanding. Bartenieff's work sees value in the opening of space in the body as opening greater possibilities for moving efficiently through the space of our environments. I use the imagery of tiny doors at the joints of the body with the idea that we try to open the doors to allow the breath to travel and flow freely through the whole connected body...

 



My provocations from this evening's discussion ;

- There is a need to challenge dominant discourses, how might we go about this as artist-scholars?

- What do you feel is the value of research (our own and the work of others)?

-  How might we look at the between-ness rather than focus on the binaries of things (male-female, theory-practice...)?

I'd love to hear your thoughts...




11 comments:

  1. Dear Helen,

    Thank you again for another insightful evening. Here is my blog on my thougts of our discussion.

    https://jadenunn1986.blogspot.com/2019/03/theories-and-franework-discussion.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello everyone..Welcome to my free masterclass strategy where i teach experience and inexperience traders the secret behind a successful trade.And how to be profitable in trading I will also teach you how to make a profit of $12,000 USD weekly and how to get back all your lost funds feel free to email me on( brucedavid004@gmail.com ) or whataspp number is +22999290178  






































      Hello everyone..Welcome to my free masterclass strategy where i teach experience and inexperience traders the secret behind a successful trade.And how to be profitable in trading I will also teach you how to make a profit of $12,000 USD weekly and how to get back all your lost funds feel free to email me on( brucedavid004@gmail.com ) or whataspp number is +22999290178  
























      Delete
  2. Theories and frameworks of dance are much more defined than in music. There are styles and genres, but they're by no means as rigid. If musical styles are the framework, then how they are defined has to be the theory. With respect to my practice, it doesn't really work. How I sing can be the same in any style. So, I'm not sure this idea really applies at all.

    As for the provocations; firstly, I'm really not sure what 'dominant discourses' you mean; secondly, the value of research is its relevance to the topic; and lastly, once again I'm not sure of the relevance to my practice.

    Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Blog address: https://rhodmapp.blogspot.com/2019/03/sunday-skype-frameworks-and-theories.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments. The idea of theories and frameworks are not specific to any practice, we talked in the call through dance as examples and also referred to Adesola's blog which was using a cathedral as an example. In terms of dominant discourses, that is up for your discussion, what do you see as the dominant discourses in the society you live in today, in your practice, in history?? These areas of discussion are really not discipline specific and intended to be discusses by you in relation to your own experiences and professional practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Thank you for the great Sunday conversation everyone. I am still turning and thinking about question one:
    - There is a need to challenge dominant discourses, how might we go about this as artist-scholars? My analysis is the following blog post: - https://marianelladesanti.blogspot.com/2019/03/shattering-of-dance-theories-and.html?fbclid=IwAR2erFltbebSTr5RXyVdwuYcFd_i4OJWtb1ZhVNBQCG-lBFw80s9YqDi1rQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding question two: - What do you feel is the value of research (our own and the work of others)?

    I find it the most important part of my experience in the Master´s degree. At the risk of sounding ignorant and shamefully so, it has been through research that I have discovered how much extraordinary research and knowledge there is about dance in the library. Research, both mine and others is a gift of knowledge as a dancer, choreographer and teacher. It is a gift in humility as one can appreciate how much one has to learn. It is in this research and in understanding what others have explored that I am able to organise my own thoughts and begin my own contribution and analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding question three: - How might we look at the between-ness rather than focus on the binaries of things (male-female, theory-practice...)?
    I find this so tricky. I have to admit that to understand our society, ourselves, our dance identities, etc, labels are carefully crafted to define and place our lives and work in categories. I can understand how the work of dividing dance genres with dance categories per gender may have gone so wrong. How unfortunate that male dancers should beg to be allowed to dance a choreography that was not developed for them - it is difficult to understand though how this happens today when we claim for artistic freedom of expression. I had am enlightening and extraordinary experience at Ballet Clásico de Costa Rica a few years ago. A talented young man became part of the dance troupe and I rushed to choreograph and include him in our repertoire. He was a dedicated dancer and learnt a lot. A few years later he became an independent dancer though always remaining an important friend and historic member of our group. He later revealed himself as a transgender dancer and individual. Now, we live in Costa Rica- a small and homophobic country of Catholic roots. Our transgender community is at extreme risk of becoming prostitutes, living on the streets, and jail. Shunned is a weak word to describe the vulnerable situation of the trans community in this country. Our dancer though has become a famous trans dancer with an extraordinary career onstage. S(he) uses both his male and female identity with pride. As a dancer she is successful and an important member of her community. Receiving applause every night, she is far from the streets and lives with great economic security. S(he) found a place of her own in her dancing and identity. S(he) still teaches us today of her freedom of choice, her artistic expression and that above all s(he) is human first despite the name and clothing she uses that day. I pray everyday for her safety and that intolerance and discrimination never catch up with her and bring her harm. I celebrate her happiness, and for having this beautiful human enrich and fill my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely evening discussion, thank you all for sharing your thoughts on frameworks and theory. i will soon update my blog and link to this thread.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello everyone..Welcome to my free masterclass strategy where i teach experience and inexperience traders the secret behind a successful trade.And how to be profitable in trading I will also teach you how to make a profit of $12,000 USD weekly and how to get back all your lost funds feel free to email me on(brucedavid004@gmail.com) or whataspp number is +22999290178






























    Hello everyone..Welcome to my free masterclass strategy where i teach experience and inexperience traders the secret behind a successful trade.And how to be profitable in trading I will also teach you how to make a profit of $12,000 USD weekly and how to get back all your lost funds feel free to email me on(brucedavid004@gmail.com) or whataspp number is +22999290178











    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi all, my blog will be updated this week in regards to 'communicating ideas'
    Backlinks blog comments

    ReplyDelete